We get it – grilling boneless chicken breasts can be challenging and you’ve probably delivered plenty of dried out chicken off the grill in the past. Well, we’ve got your back on this one! This recipe guarantees tangy, moist and tender maple BBQ chicken breasts. The secret is a simple brine before you grill and a sweet and tangy Maple BBQ Sauce to seal in the juices while on the grill.
Another tip is to choose high-quality (preferably organic) skinless, boneless chicken breasts that are about the same size and thickness. The goal would be about three-quarters of an inch in thickness.
And finally, the grilling part – grill temperature is the most important part when trying to maintain the moistness. You need to know your grill and/or have a reliable surface thermometer inside your grill (those grill cover temperature readers are not to be trusted!). Your goal is to have a grill surface temp of about 450 degrees, which is medium to medium-high on most gas grills. Time to get your grilling on!
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 6 cups cold water
- 3 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp Maple Valley Maple Syrup (Dark & Robust)
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
Maple BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup Maple Valley Maple Syrup (Dark & Robust)
- Dash black pepper
- Dash cayenne or chili pepper (adjust according to taste)
- Dash liquid smoke flavor (adjust according to taste)
1. Trim skinless boneless chicken breasts of any trim-able fat. Try to use breasts of the same size and thickness (about ¾ inch). If they are thicker, flatten them down a little with a meat mallet or bottom of a pan.
2. Mix bring ingredients in a shallow pan and add chicken ensuring they are submerged in the brine. Place in refrigerator for 30 min.
3. While the chicken is brining, make the MAPLE BBQ SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, mix together all the Maple BBQ Sauce ingredients.
- Simmer briskly on the stove for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat once thickness is achieved.
4. Clean and oil grill grates and pre-heat gas grill to medium/med-high heat (450 degrees).
5. Remove chicken from brine and rinse lightly under running water. Pat dry. Be careful and wash up surrounding area and your hands after handling raw chicken.
6. Brush chicken breasts lightly with Maple Valley’s Maple BBQ Sauce.
7. Place chicken on grill over direct heat.
8. Flip chicken breasts every five minutes. About 3-4 minutes before done, brush both sides of chicken breasts with Maple BBQ Sauce. Remove from grill once an internal temperature of 165 degrees has been reached.
9. Grilling time: About 30 minute total (but this can vary depending on grill temps and thickness of chicken breasts).
10. Allow chicken to rest for five minutes before serving.
And as always, ENJOY!